tl corner tr corner
Home
AMGSC logo
Konnichiwa to the AMGSC - how can we help you?
Tuesday - 1st March - 7pm
YOU ARE NOW ON WEBSITE 2.1 at creweanime.co.uk
Please update your links and bookmarks!

Keanu Reeves Hopes to Star in Live-Action Cowboy Bebop
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AMG(SC) Index -> Western Films, TV & Comics

Hawq
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Paul

PostPosted: 19/12/08 19:36  Reply with quote

A plank of wood as Spike? how'd that work then?
Quote:
Actor Keanu Reeves (The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly, Johnny Mnemonic) told the MTV Movies Blog that he hopes to play the lead role in Twentieth Century Fox's proposed live-action film adaptation of Sunrise's Cowboy Bebop multi-genre action anime series. Erwin Stoff, a film producer who worked closely with Reeves on The Matrix and A Scanner Darkly, told the IFMagazine.com entertainment website in July that a film development deal was signed. Stoff and Reeves both emphasized a desire to remain faithful to the original work.

Reeves said that Cowboy Bebop's "Western film noir aspect, [?] that kind of Old West, bordertown, low-tech science fiction aspect" attracted him to the project. He added that Stoff and the development team have already hired a writer who is penning a scene outline. Right now, the outline includes a drug, developed by the military, that is partially based on an element from the anime. Reeves explained, "We're taking the Red Eye [story], the beginning part of the series." He acknowledged that the episodic nature of the story will be difficult to adapt into a feature-length work: "[?] It's got so much of an origin-story obligation; you've got to get people up to speed, but you don't want to do much of that. There are a lot of things to take into consideration, but we think we can do something good."

Reeves is self-professed fan of anime and science fiction. He personally attended the opening day of the first (and last) North American branch of Japan's ANIMATE store chain in Los Angeles on December 23, 2000. He also reprised his Neo role from The Matrix in the Japanese-animated "Kid's Story" segment of The Animatrix video anthology. Not coincidentally, "Kid's Story" was directed by Cowboy Bebop director and co-scriptwriter Shinichiro Watanabe.

Source: ANN (if mods feel this is better suited in the anime section then do your thing but it seems to fit the film bit quite well)

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 19/12/08 20:34  Reply with quote

Quote:
A plank of wood as Spike? how'd that work then?

Answer: it won't!

I touched on this earlier in my thread 'A complete TRAVESTY'. It is just wrong. And the really troubling thing is that it isn't just bebop in trouble, many classic anime have live action versions in the pipeline. For every good live action there are several Treible ones. We may witness the tainting of all the classics within the next few years.

Is anything safe?

Mr Sleep
Site Admin

Name:
Martin Webb

PostPosted: 20/12/08 15:01  Reply with quote

Oh blast - I'd heard rumours about this a couple of times, but had hoped it was all nonsense....
That Keanu is a bit of a git really. Maybe if "Day the Earth Stood Still" flops enough, then the investors would lose interest (fingers crossed).

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 20/12/08 18:57  Reply with quote

Mr Sleep wrote:
Maybe if "Day the Earth Stood Still" flops enough

I think you/we are in luck. Have you seen the trailer? I don't think maybe, it looks aweful, it's gotta flop.

PS. a good move for a wooden actor, play to your strengths, pick a charecter with no emotion. They should also use him in any future terminator stuff.

Hawq
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Paul

PostPosted: 16/01/09 18:32  Reply with quote

Dear god it's confirmed
Quote:
20th Century Fox is bringing the Japanese anime TV series Cowboy Bebop to the big screen, with Keanu Reeves attached to star as a bounty hunter traveling through space in 2071, confirms The Hollywood Reporter.

One of the big titles in anime, "Bebop" is set in a time where "astral gates" make interstellar travel possible. Humanity, decimated by a lunar explosion resulting from a gate accident, spread out across the solar system, as did crime, which gave rise to the use of bounty hunters.

Reeves would play Spike Spiegel, a bounty hunter and former member of a crime syndicate. Spiegel, along with Jet Black, a fellow bounty hunter and former cop, are the two pilots of the spaceship Bebop.

Peter Craig is writing the script.

The show, which first aired on Tokyo TV and satcaster Wowow during the late 1990s, was strongly influenced by American music, even featuring action sequences -- both space battles and mano a mano -- timed to U.S. melodies.

Sunrise president Kenji Uchida, the TV series' director of animation, Shinichiro Watanabe, and series writer Keiko Nobumoto will serve as associate producers. Series producer Masahiko Minami will serve as production consultant.
source

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 16/01/09 23:32  Reply with quote

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Neutral :down: :down: :down:

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 15/02/09 12:02  Reply with quote

Maybe they can just remake cowboy bebop as a surf film then Keanu would be perfect!

It really annoys me how people bitch about them making the films and not sticking to any form of back plot, story, canon or character development - don't the fans understand that they are not important and the movie companies are just trying to make money by poo to death any enjoyment the fans once had in an anime? Jesus - why the fuss??? Wink

Fingers crossed that Kenau bangs his head in filming and through a wierd combination of neurological correction and sheer blind chance (plus some fairy dust for luck) he reawakes as a good actor, convinces the director to be true to the anime and hires huge people to lock up the producers and moguls from touching the print post=production.

Who's in the forest strolling? / The birds and the bees sing "Momiji" / The frogs in the pond are calling / "Momiji", yes it's true. / The trees raise their leaves together / Who needs the sun when we've got you?

grr_im_here
Otaku

Name:
Daniel Dale

PostPosted: 02/06/09 01:38  Reply with quote

If Keanu is Spike, who would play as the rest of the team? (Jet Black, Faye Valentine, Edward and Ein)

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 02/06/09 06:06  Reply with quote

grr_im_here wrote:
If Keanu is Spike, who would play as the rest of the team? (Jet Black, Faye Valentine, Edward and Ein)

hopefully someone not as wooden

Who's in the forest strolling? / The birds and the bees sing "Momiji" / The frogs in the pond are calling / "Momiji", yes it's true. / The trees raise their leaves together / Who needs the sun when we've got you?

Tangelax
Hentai-kun

Name:
Bob Caff

PostPosted: 02/06/09 06:27  Reply with quote

Are there any wooden dog actors?

Elkat
J-Fan

Name:

PostPosted: 02/06/09 07:13  Reply with quote

Oh my god I've seen the future when this movie comes out and it... FAILS! JK. But the odds are against any anime/video game being turned into a live action movie in the hands of AMERICA. Repeat after me: America is incompetent when making any live action movie adaption to a Japanese franchise! Anybody who wants to proove me wrong, feel free I'll consider your opinion (unless it's "DOA: Dead or Alive" then I'd have to sick my nekomimi kunoichi on you! :death: As soon as I can get a Death Note, I'm writing down the name of everyone involved with that movie starting with the director and script writers! Twisted Evil No, I don't have issues! I just have a need to avenge my family, kill my older brother, learn that he's a good guy after he's dead and throw a temper tantrum to find out my home village which I called dibs to destroying has already been destroyed by another person! I CALLED DIBS! By the way, it may be too late now, but be ware of hidden spoilers to another series all together.)

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 02/06/09 07:37  Reply with quote

Tangelax wrote:
Are there any wooden dog actors?

Well I was always dissapointed with Lassie's emotional range Laughing

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 02/06/09 16:43  Reply with quote

kylej64 wrote:

Well I was always dissapointed with Lassie's emotional range Laughing

lassie would knock spots off Keanu.

Display:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AMG(SC) Index -> Western Films, TV & Comics
Page 1 of 1

Constructed from phpBB

bl corner br corner
Neko Desu Radio