tl corner tr corner
Home
AMGSC logo
Konnichiwa to the AMGSC - how can we help you?
Tuesday - 1st March - 7pm
YOU ARE NOW ON WEBSITE 2.1 at creweanime.co.uk
Please update your links and bookmarks!

Garry’s Mod catches pirates the fun way
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AMG(SC) Index -> Computer & Console Games

Hawq
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Paul

PostPosted: 16/04/11 11:06  Reply with quote

Quote:
A few hours ago, Garry Newman – the creator of Garry’s Mod – asked, quite innocently, whether anyone was unable to shade polygon normals.

He received a few comments, mostly jokes, but a quick look at Google suggests that there are indeed a few people who are experiencing problems with their game.

…you can hear Newman’s chuckling from here. Not the normal response to a wide-spread bug report, but this is no normal bug. It seems that the developer has deliberately enabled an error in GMod, which will only affect people who have pirated the game.

People started discussing the error on the game’s own forums, wondering why their game simply wouldn’t work:

Problem:
I need help with my garrys mod. Everytime I launch Garrys Mod, it starts up then about 5 seconds later after it is done loading, it crashed with the

Engine Error:Unable to shade polygon normals(#################)

Not long after posting the request, the user found themselves permabanned from the forums for using pirated software.

Making the situation even sweeter, the number which appears in brackets after the error statement is in fact the gamer’s 64-bit steamid.

Y’see, Steam keeps a list of which accounts have actually forked over the $9.99 for a legit copy of GMod – so it’s a simple matter of checking ids and turfing out the pirates.

Just another lesson on why piracy is bad, supporting indie developers is good, and why you shouldn’t mess with the nerds.
source

Display:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AMG(SC) Index -> Computer & Console Games
Page 1 of 1

Constructed from phpBB

bl corner br corner
Neko Desu Radio