tl corner tr corner
Home
AMGSC logo
Konnichiwa to the AMGSC - how can we help you?
Tuesday - 1st March - 7pm
YOU ARE NOW ON WEBSITE 2.1 at creweanime.co.uk
Please update your links and bookmarks!

Top 5 anime
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AMG(SC) Index -> Anime, Manga, Japan

Linden Ryuujin
J-Curious

Name:

PostPosted: 04/01/09 13:20  Reply with quote

As the title says; what are you favourite 5 anime series and films?

1. Ranma 1/2 - I just love this series. It always leaves me smiling and is just generally funny. From martial arts rhythmic gymnastics to foes called Taro Pantyhoes, Ranma just plain rocks.

Ranma 1/2 is about a young martial artist who's been cursed after visiting training grounds in China. When splashed with cold water he becomes a girl. It's part martial arts type series and part romantic comedy. It never takes itself too seriously and is just hugely enjoyable.

Dub: Very good. Ranma changes VA about half way though though (still watchable either way).

2. Fullmetal Alchemist - Fast moving, excellent plot with enough twists to keep things interesting. You never quite know what's going to happen next and it doesn't pull it's punches. No one is safe!

It's a steam punky fantasy story about two young alchemist and their search for a way to cure their bodies after accident early in their career that has left Edward missing an arm and leg and his brother Al missing his whole body.

Audio: Sub is excellent. I've yet to hear the dub, but I hear good things of it.

3. Samurai X - Trust and Betrayal - A prequal to Rurouni Kenshin. It tells the story of how Kenshin was given his cross shaped scar. Unlike the TV series it's completely serious with few jokes. The animation and art style is breath taking, the story excellent and the music brilliant. The only problem I can find is that it's just four episodes!

This is a samurai story about how a young boy becomes the most feared assassin in the turmoil of the Meji revolution.

Dub: A travesty. Watch subbed only.

4. Princess Mononoke - My favourite Ghibli film. Epic story, epic awesome. I doubt there are many people who haven't see this, if you're one of the few... you're missing out.

Ashitaka is cursed protecting his village from demon. Dying and forced to leave his home he travels to the west to find out what created the demon.

Dub: Excellent, this marks the start of Disney doing a decent job on subbing.

5. Cowboy Bebop - It takes a little while to get started but this series is mind blowingly awesome once it's got going. Brilliant characters, a plot that emerges from many seemingly unconnected episodes and builds perfectly.

A jazz space western about a group of bounty hunters mostly trying to scrap together enough money to buy food. Is better than it sounds.

Dub: Perfect, far superior to the sub.

Honourable mention: For originality that has blown me away and an incredible sense of style Read or Die and Baccanno! Both series are very worth watching, narrowly escaping my top 5.

[Dreams of Twilight]

Last edited by Linden Ryuujin on 04/01/09 22:08; edited 1 time in total

Tangelax
Hentai-kun

Name:
Bob Caff

PostPosted: 04/01/09 16:50  Reply with quote

Hmmm, top five Anime. Well, I do have a list in my sig but that needs updating as I'm constantly changing my mind about, but here is a newer version:

5. Spirited Away: While I did like Princess Mononoke, I personally preferred the silly yet touching story of Spirited Away. The dub is very good, can't say much about subbed as I haven't seen them yet.

4. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei: One of my favourite genres is Slice-of-life/high school, and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei puts a very good twist on it. A comedy about a teacher who constantly sees despair all around him and a class full of stereotypical characters from Anime, such as the bossy class president, the cheery girl who is painfully optimistic and the foreign person. It is also very satirical and often parodies many different anime. For the moment there is only Sub, which is very good.

3. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: As I said before I love Slice-of-life/high school, and this also puts a good twist on the genre, and is very entertaining. However, one of the best aspects about could be considered a spoiler, so I will keep my mouth shut for now. Dub is very good, haven't heard the Sub.

2. Kino's Journey: This series is simply beautiful, it's about a traveller who goes across countries, only staying in each one for three days, no more, no less and in each one there is a sort of Aesop?s fable, such as the "land of visible pain" where everyone can read each others mind, or the land where at the age of twelve children are forced to grow up into adults. It's a short series but one of my favourites. Sub is very good and though I haven't heard the dub I have heard it's okay.

1. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni / Kai: I'll lump these two together as they're part of the same franchise but I love them both, while the first one is great due to it messing with your mind and horrifying you Neutral , I think that I personally prefer the second one due to that despite the story is about people trying to kill little girls, it has a brilliant and heart warming ending that is really emotional. The sub is brilliant but I have heard that the dub isn't as good.

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 04/01/09 22:50  Reply with quote

In no particular order

1. Samurai X - Trust and Betrayal. for reasons why just look all the posts where i rant on it's brialliants.

2 Laputa As the first anime i will always love it. I can even overlook the dub.

Now things grt tricky.

3. Full metal panic fumoffu It is probably the funniest anime i have ever seen. Even without seeing the full metal panic series you could grow to love the charecters and series as a whole. But once you watch full metal panic you get just that little bit more of what is going on and who the charecters are. And realise it's true brilliance.

4. Cowboy Bebop because it has every thing. looks good, great music, great charecters, interesing plot, great bad guys and most importantly a movie because the tv series isn't quite enough.

5. ermmmmmmmmmmmm? i'll have to get back to number 5. i mean , Fullmetal Alchemist, hellsing, howls moving castle, spirited away, fist of the north star, x (tv series and movie together, both good in different ways, but both lacking in one or two areas that the other counters for), The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. WAIT a min nooo
easy choice
ONE PIECE it's funny, endeering, and full of surprises that keep you guessing. A truely wonderfull series that even now at just less than 400 episodes and 530 ish manga i can't wait to see each week.

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 20/03/09 12:20  Reply with quote

Fumoffu, a good solid choice.
And if you like the stunning visuals of Karas, have you seen the second ghost in the shell movie 'innocence'? It is the only anime i have seen that can rival the stupidly prittyKaras

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 22/03/09 16:28  Reply with quote

I just love Miyazaki and all the cool stuff from the Ghibli Peeps:

Mine would be:

Kiki's Delivery Service (I love JiJi)

Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away

Porco Rosso

Laputa and Nausicaa are a tough one to decide between as I saw both at an early age and nostalgia doesn't help me decide.....

I love other anime, obviously, but there is something magical and possessing/soul uplifting about the Ghibli films. I haven't even mentioned Totoro and Howl.... Embarassed

Who's in the forest strolling? / The birds and the bees sing "Momiji" / The frogs in the pond are calling / "Momiji", yes it's true. / The trees raise their leaves together / Who needs the sun when we've got you?

Mr Sleep
Site Admin

Name:
Martin Webb

PostPosted: 22/03/09 19:11  Reply with quote

After mulling my answer over for several days,

I still cant decide! :dizzy:

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 22/03/09 20:34  Reply with quote

GaTCHa wrote:
I just love Miyazaki and all the cool stuff from the Ghibli Peeps:

Mine would be:

Kiki's Delivery Service (I love JiJi)

Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away

Porco Rosso

Laputa and Nausicaa are a tough one to decide between as I saw both at an early age and nostalgia doesn't help me decide.....

I love other anime, obviously, but there is something magical and possessing/soul uplifting about the Ghibli films. I haven't even mentioned Totoro and Howl.... Embarassed

i know what you mean about Ghibli being uplifting, but it is only one (albe it very important) part of anime. Thoug nostalga is why i chose laputa instead of mononokie, spirited away or howls

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 22/03/09 20:49  Reply with quote

kylej64 wrote:

i know what you mean about Ghibli being uplifting, but it is only one (albe it very important) part of anime. Thoug nostalga is why i chose laputa instead of mononokie, spirited away or howls

yes.... laputa was the first anime I saw way back when I was a kid. I have fond memories of that film....

I'm sure I'll change my mind over the animes I've chosen.

I'm currently really enjoying Fruits Basket. V.V.V.V. Funny and lovely animation concepts.

Who's in the forest strolling? / The birds and the bees sing "Momiji" / The frogs in the pond are calling / "Momiji", yes it's true. / The trees raise their leaves together / Who needs the sun when we've got you?

rainbowrainbow
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Tim Smith

PostPosted: 03/04/09 15:59  Reply with quote

It about time I posted my top 5 anime, but this list changes most of the time. (In no particular order)

Clannad/Clannad after story - These two would be put togther as they as equally as good and both very very sad, believe or not i cry 7 times through out both of the series. This anime is more about life nd problems that might occur.

Sola - This is another sad anime but is more or less in the genre of mystery. The ending is probably makes it a great anime, the only thing thats disappointing is the opening song.

Nagasarete Airantou - Very funny and happy, a break from all the sadness, the opening is amazing and a certain little pig in it is what makes it a cool anime.

Shuffle - Back again to the sad anime and Shuffle has to ave one of the best endings i have ever seen. Yes it is a sad anime but it has some happy moments and some moments when you could look lie this Surprised and Neutral

Sgt frog/Keroro Gunso - One of the funniest anime i've seen apart from FMPF, a little green frog trying to take over the world but gets distracted by Gundam figures, it's as crazy as it sounds. I'm still in the process of watching it all but considering there is over 200 episodes, i can tell it will take a while to watch.

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 03/04/09 17:49  Reply with quote

rainbowrainbow wrote:
It about time I posted my top 5 anime, but this list changes most of the time. (In no particular order)

Clannad/Clannad after story - These two would be put togther as they as equally as good and both very very sad, believe or not i cry 7 times through out both of the series. This anime is more about life nd problems that might occur.

Sola - This is another sad anime but is more or less in the genre of mystery. The ending is probably makes it a great anime, the only thing thats disappointing is the opening song.

Nagasarete Airantou - Very funny and happy, a break from all the sadness, the opening is amazing and a certain little pig in it is what makes it a cool anime.

Shuffle - Back again to the sad anime and Shuffle has to ave one of the best endings i have ever seen. Yes it is a sad anime but it has some happy moments and some moments when you could look lie this Surprised and Neutral

Sgt frog/Keroro Gunso - One of the funniest anime i've seen apart from FMPF, a little green frog trying to take over the world but gets distracted by Gundam figures, it's as crazy as it sounds. I'm still in the process of watching it all but considering there is over 200 episodes, i can tell it will take a while to watch.

I would love to see these - you have a good way of selling them .. I like emotive and especially sad anime.

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 05/04/09 18:13  Reply with quote

Hawq wrote:

X (the series more than the film version of course)

Confused

The series was very good, but come on, the 'of course' bit. Are you not a fan of the massivly over the top, everyone being killed slightly cheesy film. Razz good enough that it removes the need for of course in my mind.

Hawq
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Paul

PostPosted: 05/04/09 19:28  Reply with quote

I just mean the vast majority will, like me, prefer the series

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 07/04/09 23:45  Reply with quote

Am i the only person who actually liked X the film? Crying or Very sad

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 08/04/09 22:52  Reply with quote

Elkat wrote:
1.) Naruto (even with there semi-plotless fillers)
2.) Bleach (even though the Bount arc went on a little too long)

I like to think filler never happened (denial if fun Laughing )[/quote]

Mr Sleep
Site Admin

Name:
Martin Webb

PostPosted: 10/04/09 13:39  Reply with quote

Elkat wrote:
5.) R.O.D. the TV (BOOKWORMS ARE KAWAI! LONG LIVE Yomiko x Nenene forever! Razz )

Don't forget cute little brain-damaged Nancy! Crying or Very sad

Display:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AMG(SC) Index -> Anime, Manga, Japan
Page 1 of 1

Constructed from phpBB

bl corner br corner
Neko Desu Radio