tl corner tr corner
Home
AMGSC logo
Konnichiwa to the AMGSC - how can we help you?
Tuesday - 1st March - 7pm
YOU ARE NOW ON WEBSITE 2.1 at creweanime.co.uk
Please update your links and bookmarks!

Green fingers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AMG(SC) Index -> The On-sen

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 14/02/09 23:35  Reply with quote

Every few years i try growing something, i've grown among other things pumpkins and strawberries.

This year i have randomly decided to grow tomatoes. I've got a propagator and bought loads of seeds. should be interesting.

Does anyone here have experience of growing tomatoes (or anything else)?

I do this every few years because the fruit/veg tastes loads better, and it gives you a sence of accomplishment (maybe i need that right now as i'm feeling like i'm not making any progress in 'final fantasy, crystal chronicals' (for the game cube))

Either way if anyone cares or not i will post my progress here. Smile

Mr Sleep
Site Admin

Name:
Martin Webb

PostPosted: 18/02/09 00:08  Reply with quote

I've no idea, but I'm wondering if you'll need to use some cotton buds and play matchmaker between your plants (ewww plantsex) - with tomato plants not being as common in gardens as they used to be, most fruiting plants requiring pollination, and the lack of bees these days. Dunno though, just an idea!

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 18/02/09 00:45  Reply with quote

Tomatoe plants fertilise themselves, you just need to give them a little shake to encourage them. (humm, seems oddly familiar)

Besides if all goes well i'll hopefully end up with about 20 plants.

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 20/02/09 10:41  Reply with quote

I have seedling people. loads have germinated last night.

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 20/02/09 23:23  Reply with quote

kylej64 wrote:
I have seedling people. loads have germinated last night.

awesome. let us know how they go. Used to grow a few things myself - toms and chilli peppers mainly. Managed to get my old work to invest in a large polytunnel for the kids to use and me and the staff made good use of it too (nothing illegal!!)

Used to start the toms like you in a prop.

Who's in the forest strolling? / The birds and the bees sing "Momiji" / The frogs in the pond are calling / "Momiji", yes it's true. / The trees raise their leaves together / Who needs the sun when we've got you?

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 21/02/09 00:01  Reply with quote

I know how to grow illegal as well, but just legal now i'm not a student. Loads of seedlings now. hope they all survive. I've not grown toms before (pumpkins, strawberries, radished, nastersions and other thing i won't even try to spell but never tried tomatoes).

Any hints GaTCHa? post here, or tell me in the car tomorrow on the way to the expo!

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 21/02/09 08:03  Reply with quote

kylej64 wrote:

Any hints GaTCHa? post here, or tell me in the car tomorrow on the way to the expo!

Depends if you Organic or not. You can get loads of tomato food growth products but I'd rather do without. Not sure I'd have many tips you not aware of or able to find from books and internet.

Who's in the forest strolling? / The birds and the bees sing "Momiji" / The frogs in the pond are calling / "Momiji", yes it's true. / The trees raise their leaves together / Who needs the sun when we've got you?

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 28/02/09 11:40  Reply with quote

Just though i should add a quick update. My plants were becoming quite spindley and after i did some research it became apparent that the poor light levels were to blame. So i went to argos the other day and bought a fluorescent desk lamp (fluorescent light is ok to grow plants, normal bulbs don't emit the right light spectrum). This has reduced the fast spindly growth.

That was a couple of days ago. Since then the seedlings have stopped growing taller (the desired result), and have started to produce the first set of propper leaves Very Happy

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 28/02/09 12:25  Reply with quote

GOOD SAVE! Smile

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 01/03/09 02:37  Reply with quote

GaTCHa wrote:
GOOD SAVE! Smile

At least one person seems to appreciate my gardening exploits. This is as close to a blog as i ever intend to get and only 2 people cares Crying or Very sad

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 01/03/09 08:05  Reply with quote

kylej64 wrote:

At least one person seems to appreciate my gardening exploits. This is as close to a blog as i ever intend to get and only 2 people cares Crying or Very sad

Just keep going - other people have yet to discover the attractive lure that is horticulture.

Tangelax
Hentai-kun

Name:
Bob Caff

PostPosted: 01/03/09 15:26  Reply with quote

It's interesting to read about, I would say it's more interesting to read about planting Tomatoes than debating about which would win out of an angry rabbit and a floating head. Laughing

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 01/03/09 18:48  Reply with quote

Tangelax wrote:
It's interesting to read about, I would say it's more interesting to read about planting Tomatoes than debating about which would win out of an angry rabbit and a floating head. Laughing

unless there is a floating head gardner trying to defend his tomato and carrot patch from the menacing angry rabbit. Shall we start a new thread? Razz

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 01/03/09 19:25  Reply with quote

GaTCHa wrote:

unless there is a floating head gardner trying to defend his tomato and carrot patch from the menacing angry rabbit. Shall we start a new thread? Razz

I think it is time for my poll to evolve.

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 01/03/09 21:43  Reply with quote

kylej64 wrote:

I think it is time for my poll to evolve.

YAY ! Laughing

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 04/03/09 23:11  Reply with quote

The first set of proper leaves are growing nicely. The stems are a bit spindley but that will hopefully be remidied when i re-pot them (probably in a few months)

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 05/03/09 06:56  Reply with quote

kylej64 wrote:
The first set of proper leaves are growing nicely. The stems are a bit spindley but that will hopefully be remidied when i re-pot them (probably in a few months)

post some pics please

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 05/03/09 13:09  Reply with quote

Be warned, the quality of these will be low (the only camera i have is on my phone)

Early pic's

Pic's taken just now

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 05/03/09 19:12  Reply with quote

Brings back memories!

They look good - keep me updated Smile

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 06/03/09 23:30  Reply with quote

Some of the more spindly plants might benifit from early re-planting. But with the cold snap we are predicted they may be better off left in their cells of the seeding trays in my heated propagator. They are just so weedy that i figure re-potting my help, but the cold nights might finish them of. I'm in a quandry (if that is how u spell it (cut me some slack, i'm dsylexic)). They keep falling over and resting on other plants (bending the stems of plants strong enough to previously grow upright). anyone got any advice?

I'm thinking i'll hold off till this latest cold snap wears off untill i re-pot them.

Tangelax
Hentai-kun

Name:
Bob Caff

PostPosted: 07/03/09 01:03  Reply with quote

Perhaps you need to tie the plants to a sticky thingie?

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 07/03/09 09:10  Reply with quote

Tangelax wrote:
Perhaps you need to tie the plants to a sticky thingie?

that works when they're older but the stems are rally thin and squidgy at the mo - tying them would damage them Crying or Very sad

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 07/03/09 09:12  Reply with quote

kylej64 wrote:
Some of the more spindly plants might benifit from early re-planting. But with the cold snap we are predicted they may be better off left in their cells of the seeding trays in my heated propagator. They are just so weedy that i figure re-potting my help, but the cold nights might finish them of. I'm in a quandry (if that is how u spell it (cut me some slack, i'm dsylexic)). They keep falling over and resting on other plants (bending the stems of plants strong enough to previously grow upright). anyone got any advice?

I'm thinking i'll hold off till this latest cold snap wears off untill i re-pot them.

I'd agree - the re-plant will whack their water movement and they'd just flop, dry out a little and then the frost would pounce! better keep them watered and warm. It's tough when they've grown weirdly - try drinking straws cut to size with the tp bit cut down and opened to form a mini crutch - they can be rested like that on them without damaging the plant. just a thought....

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 09/03/09 11:22  Reply with quote

A few new developments since I have last posted.

I did more research into spindly plants and the consensus is a lack of light is the cause (which I already thought). One person suggested using tinfoil behind the plants to reflect a bit of light back from behind them (to make full use of the light that you have).
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu4/kylej64/Toimprovelight1.jpg

This seems to be working as the plants stems are getting a little stockier and not growing taller and spindlier. (It is now 20 days since i planted the seeds)
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu4/kylej64/Tomsat3weeks24.jpg
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu4/kylej64/Tomsat3weeks2.jpg

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 09/03/09 17:14  Reply with quote

kylej64 wrote:
A few new developments since I have last posted.

I did more research into spindly plants and the consensus is a lack of light is the cause (which I already thought).

Yeah - that looks really good - sorry - I assumed light conditions were good. The plant is acting in a crazy grow fashion in the hope of reaching more light (it 'thinks' it's covered by a plant canopy or barrier so is competing). This happens in germination too if the seed is buried too deep or kept in the dark and you get these crazy spindly shoots.

Good job on the foil / reflectors - I'm v.impressed at how professional you are making this Smile

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 09/03/09 21:57  Reply with quote

In addition, i have also been exposing the seedlings to a slight breeze (in fornt of a window cracked open or with a nearby fan turned on). I heard this could force the plants to toughen up. I don't know how effective this is as i had also began methods to increase the amount of light at the same time.

Either way i'm just happy it is working.

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 10/03/09 08:12  Reply with quote

sounds good - keep me posted Smile

kylej64
AMGSC Committee

Name:
Kyle Johnson

PostPosted: 11/03/09 22:55  Reply with quote

At least someone cares (do you want some plants when i re-pot mine in a few days/weeks?)

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 12/03/09 06:56  Reply with quote

kylej64 wrote:
At least someone cares (do you want some plants when i re-pot mine in a few days/weeks?)

that would be great but I'm a bit short on space in the house..... let me see.

thanks for offer!

GaTCHa
Hentai-chan

Name:
Mark

PostPosted: 13/03/09 17:08  Reply with quote

migratingfishswim wrote:

4 yes, gatcha would love something that can remain growing on a south-facing windowsill and won't need planting outside (or is that just me?)

if she says I do - I do.....I have no idea - just agree Razz

Display:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AMG(SC) Index -> The On-sen Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Constructed from phpBB

bl corner br corner
Neko Desu Radio